Work is a place where you grow professionally. Nevertheless, very often it leads to relationships that go way beyond professional. In accordance with the statistics, 2 out of 5 people in the US have dated a person who worked for the same company. Moreover, 3 out of 5 people have done it more than once. As a result, one-third of all people who were working at the same company and dating got married later.
Despite this fact, it should still be remembered that office romance is not something simple and easy. It is a tricky and risky thing, especially if it doesn’t end well.
So, how can people who like each other date without thinking of negative consequences e.g. losing the job?
Tips for a safe office romance
- Find out about the company’s policy. Before starting any relationships at work, it is important to know what your organization’s take on office romance is. Is it actually allowed or not? Some companies allow office romances, whereas other completely ban them. In order not to lose the job, check everything in advance. NOTE* If you are using totally free mature dating over 50 online websites or any other online resources for building relationships, it might be forbidden to check them from a company’s computer.
- Let the senior representatives know. If and when 2 people like each other, it can’t be hidden from co-workers for a long time. Sooner or later people will start noticing it and even gossiping. That’s why it is always better to let your HR representative know everything in advance (before someone else tells them instead of you). It will be either accepted or you will be offered a position in another team but at the same company, thus saving the relationship.
- Break-up rules. Not all office romances have positive outcome. Some couples break up. When this happens, it is important to set certain rules that will help both of you to keep cool at work when seeing each other, thus saving your careers.
- Affection boundaries. When two people are in love, they want to demonstrate affection by sending lovely messages, dropping by each other’s offices, etc. which should never be done at work. At work, you are a professional. As soon as you leave the office, you are free to do anything you want with the beloved one.
- Discreet relationships. It is not recommended to update photos or any information on social networks about your relationships. It only leads to gossiping and awkward situations.
Romance can happen in unlikely places, however, if this place happens to be your work, it’s important to keep in mind certain rules so as not to endanger your relationship.