Over the past few decades there has been a big shift to the automatic transmission (no pun intended). More and more people are automatically opting to go buy or lease an automatic car without even considering the manual transmission option. This is also why they are now seeing more of these semi manual transmissions. These transmissions have all of the features of an automatic car, but also allow drivers to switch to a manual shift (without a clutch).
On the surface, it seems odd that people are opting for the more expensive option. On average, it will cost consumers approximately $2,000 more to buy an automatic car when compared to a manual car that is the same make and model with all the same features.
If you are in the market for a new car, there are a number of pros and cons to think about. Once you read this list, your decision may not be as automatic as you think.
The pros of automatic vehicles
There are many positive attributes when it comes to the decision to by a car with an automatic transmission. They include:
- They are easier to drive on a daily basis. There is no shifting and no need to learn how to operate a clutch.
- Automatic cars are easier when it comes to learning how to drive. Getting familiar with a car is difficult enough and adding shifting and a clutch only makes things more difficult and more intimidating.
- They are the dominant type of vehicle on the market, so they are easier to find, buy, and sell. Manual transmission vehicles are now more of a niche market and are not what the average driver is looking for.
- There will be a larger market to sell your vehicle down the road. No one wants to get stuck with a car that they can’t sell, especially if they are in a situation where they need the money.
- They are better suited for winter weather and driving in poor weather conditions.
The cons of automatic vehicles
There are also many negative attributes when it comes to the decision to by a car with an automatic transmission. They include:
- They cost more money. So, if price is an issue, you can easily save a couple thousand dollars right off the top if you opt for a manual vehicle.
- The driving experience is not the same. Having the ability to press the clutch and feel the car kick into gear when you shift is truly what driving is all about.
- Since you are not required to shift gears, it is easier to become distracted when you are behind the wheel.
- They are less efficient when it comes to gas consumption. This will cost you more money overtime and for the duration that you own the car.
- Drivers have less control over the vehicle. Manual vehicles allow you to take more control over the engine.
As you can see, there are many pros and cons of automatic vehicles. But, since …